Sunday, July 17, 2011

Transferring to Stanford?

Hello, I am 18 years old from Texas and interested in transferring to Stanford. My interest is to major in mathematics and electrical engineering. I attend school at the University of Texas in Austin where I live. It was the only school I applied to in highschool simply because I wanted to stay at home for a while until I was ready to go away. I wasn't ready to go away due to anxiety problems, social issues, and lack of maturity/responsibility. When I was a senior in highschool, my concerns were learning how to socialize with my future roomates in the dorm and being able to make friends. During that time, I was able to adapt to college and research potential college graduate and doctoral programs in mathematics. Now that I have spent almost a year here in Texas and am ready to move on in my life, I am considering Stanford as one of my possible school choices. This year, I managed to complete 45 credits of coursework last semester with a 4.0 gpa. What makes me stand out as an applicant is my interest in mathematics and sciences. Since highschool I have taken multivariable calculus, number theory, and several courses related to pure mathematics. It would be too lengthy to detail it here, since this is just a brief of my background, but I also have some significant research studies in engineering that would bolster my resume. I don't know if colleges really care about highschool statistics, since it seems somewhat insignificant as compared to collegiate achievements, but I scored 5's on the AP Physics B, AP Physics C Electricity and Magnetism, AP Calculus BC and AP Government exams in highschool. My SAT was somewhere between 2100-2400 (dont recall at the moment) and all test scores were good. The only downside of my highschool days was the fact that I had a low gpa (3.4 unweighted) because I was bored in highschool and didnt bother to do required assignments. Is there anything else Stanford is looking for? Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment